Dyer’s broom is a poisonous plant!
The poisonous alkaloid cytisine is contained mainly in the seeds and leaves. Dyer’s broom is a thornless semi-shrub that grows up to 80 cm high and is native to Central Europe. The yellow flowers, up to 1.5 cm long, are arranged in clusters. When touched, the petals burst open and the flower opens.
The dyeing plant parts are best collected and dried before flowering.
Like reseda, dyer’s broom belongs to the mordant dyes. The dyeing is done on pre-stained wool. Since dyer’s broom is not as strong in color as reseda, the dye extract must be particularly concentrated. With alum mordant, a lemon yellow is obtained, which becomes dark brown by post-treatment with iron(II) sulfate. With copper(II) sulfate as a mordant, a green-olive color is also accessible.
Toxic if swallowed. Do not eat, drink or smoke when using this product. If swallowed: Immediately call a poison center or physician.